Re: [OM] OT: LCD aperture???

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: LCD aperture???
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:39:47 EST
>Even when "off" LCD displays are not completely opaque. I seem to
>remember some high speed camera that uses LCD shutter, but it needs a
>normal shutter (set to like 1/500s) to stop the film from being
>unacceptably fogged: the normal shutter opens, the LCD shutter changes
>state (opens/closes) then the normal shutter closes.
>

>Vaughan

I think you meant "transparent"?

Well, I didn't mean it had to be LCD only, it was just an idea that
popped into my head, so I did a search on it. Since I work at the
Patent Office, I am precluded from obtianing any patents myself. I
don't know if there are other electrically activated mediums like LCD
that could preform the same function. But bascially, the idea is to
have a lens element, which could be perfectly flat (ie, not a lens
itself), with concentric rings of varying width which could be
acitivated via some kind of electronic means to emulate a mechanical
diaphram. I suppose if there was such a material, it would have been
invented already, probably by Minolta or Canon.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright