Re: [OM] Zuiko 100mm f/2 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 100mm f/2 Lens
From: Francisco Campos <sinclair@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:59:50 -0300
I have to admit: your photo is really marvelous.
TONI
At 20:43 25/03/00 -0700, you wrote:
>At 07:37 PM 3/25/00 -0300, Francisco Campos (TONI) wrote:
>
>>  I wonder why the om's outfit photographers don't show their work with the
>>100mm f/2, (no one in the olympus's net galleries)if it is so excellent...
>>TONI
>
>Two reasons, probably:
>
>1. Few people actually OWN the 100/2.0 Zuiko, though many seem to own the
100/2.8.  The 100/2.0's an expensive piece of glass (though, I might add
with emphasis, not out of line with other manufacturers' examples of
similar lenses -- we Zuikoids are a spoiled lot...), and

>2. While I'm certain that photos from the 100/2.0 are excellent, I'm not
sure you can truly appreciate all the subtleties of its image-forming
prowess on a rasterized image device (i.e., computer screen).

>However, since you wondered:
>
>      http://www.enable.org/~gallery/subpages/wood/wedd02a.jpg
>
>A photo (one of many) of my brother-in-law's wedding to my
brand-spankin'-new sister-in-law last August at (actually *on*) Mt.
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, shot with the Zuiko 100/2.0.  Note the
lovely out-of-focus effects both in the foreground (the ladies' hats which
I shot between) and the nice, unobtrusive rendering of the mountainous
backdrop, complete with snow and rocks.  Note also that I shot this wide
open at F/2.0, and you're getting basically a full-frame view here, with no
noticeable falloff at the edges.  This was spot-metered with my OM-4 (the
background was at least three stops brighter than the foreground), due to
the fact that we were under a dark canopy and I had no access to fill-flash.

>By no means an ideal example of what this lens can do, but I had it handy,
and it's not a bad representation nevertheless.