[OM] Stop, Look, Listen

Subject: [OM] Stop, Look, Listen
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:40:49 -0600
Stop, look, listen.
Take the time to visit that park you drive past each day.  Life is
stressful with jobs, household finances and personal relationships all
requiring special attention.  We need to escape from the ferris wheel of
our structured lives and ever tightening daily grind.

Stop, look, listen.
The crunch of the dried leaves under our feet mask the sounds of the birds.
 The distant sound of a woodpecker is echoed by the nearby chatter of
sparrows gathered in the bushes.  Spring has returned and so has the sounds.

Stop, look, listen.
Look up in the trees.  No leaves yet to hide the nests of squirrels or
hawks.  The canopy is a world away from this trail that you are walking on.
 Two more steps and a massive bird launches from a nest and glides away on
flat wings with upturned wingtips, seeking thermals and updrafts to ride.

Stop, look, listen.
The wind's direction has masked your approach and the deer are now just a
hundred feet away.  One more step and they will spot you.  Don't move, just
watch as any movement will scare them off.  A twitch, your breathing or
probably the sound of your own heart beating alerts them and one by one
they bound through the woods, tails held high and floating along like
milkweed on the wind.

Stop, look, listen.
You have approached a small clearing, but before you get there you hear the
sounds of fox or coyote pups playing and yipping.  The clearing is a main
wildlife wintering place with well bedded down areas from deer and signs of
wild turkeys roosting.  It's daytime, though, and you are satisfied just
seeing evidence of life.

Stop, look, listen.
Before stepping back in your car, breath deeply, look around and give a
smile.  Taking time to see and hear has refreshed you and prepared you for
the rest of the day.

Stop, look, listen.
Putting the camera back in the bag you realize that you didn't take a
single picture.  Maybe not with film, but the images are firmly planted in
your mind.  Without a proper mental image on life, how can we create film
images of life?

Stop, look, listen.

Ken Norton