Re: [OM] WTB Zuiko 8mm f/2.8 fisheye

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB Zuiko 8mm f/2.8 fisheye
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:56:22 -0500
Cc: matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Sigma lens is relatively hard to find, and from my research, not available in OM mount anymore. It'd be a good choice if you can find one.

The adapters are not going to come close to the quality of a prime circular-image fisheye. Especially for all-sky photography, you want the best image quality possible to get the star images clean. (i.e., you get what you pay for)

But my recommendation would be to get one of the Zuikos that Frank mentioned that were available in Holland. They're devilishly hard to find in the U.S. I think most of them are being used by Ipix (www.ipix.com) photographers to take 360 degree photos for the web. Check the site out, it's neat.

As for the two in Holland, I'd find out what makes one an 8.5 and the other a 9.5. Make sure there's no fungus on the rear elements. They seem to have problems with that and possible delaminating. Also, make sure it comes with the front hood. That would be an expensive item to replace, if you could find it at all. You really don't want that huge front element exposed. The prices $1,032 and $1,347 (plus shipping and duty) seem on-target. Don't forget the duty. It might run $50. ***Maybe others have better experience with trans-Atlantic duty charges?***

(BTW, I located a 9.5+ one this week from a little birdie on this list, and it'll be here in my hot little hands in a couple of weeks, so I've got the same disease as you.)

Skip