Re: [OM] lens contrast, DOF limitations or my brain?

Subject: Re: [OM] lens contrast, DOF limitations or my brain?
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:10:40 -0500
Cc: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
P.J.:

What Paul is talking about is diffraction due to the wave nature of light. A
larger aperture has more resolution.

Light tends to "bend" around corners (like the diaphragm blades). When a
parallel beam of light enters a lens, the rays spread out evenly, making it
impossible to focus sharply, even with a hypothetically perfect lens. The
amount of diffraction is proportional to the wavelength of the light divided by
the diameter of the aperture. The resolution of the silver oxide grains on the
film is up to about 6000 dpi on the best film (i.e. Kodak Technical Pan). If a
small lens aperture yields resolution significantly worse than the film grain,
your pictures will look blurry. Loss of resolution is yet another tradeoff when
selecting aperture.

I know this stuff because I'm an amateur astronomer. I have a 10" diameter
reflecting telescope, which has a resolution that is usually better than what
the atmosphere allows (AKA "seeing") when looking at stars. A common astronomy
technique is to stop down a large telescope on turbulent nights, because too
much resolution just emphasizes how the seeing is distorting the image.

Matt BenDaniel