[OM] RE: Filter Testing in olympus-digest V2 #1522

Subject: [OM] RE: Filter Testing in olympus-digest V2 #1522
From: "Chung, Stephen (AU)" <chungs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:59:31 +1100
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Gary Reese always gets me going, so after his posts on
> autocollimater tests
> and the rejection rates on filters, I decided to test mine --
> on film.

SNIP

> And now (drumroll) the results.  They were all GREAT!  I couldn't
> distinguish the "naked" slide from any of those which were
> filtered.  On
> this same roll, I could easily see the difference between the
> 50/3.5 and
> the 90/2, and between the Sigma 21-35 and the Zuiko 24/2.8
> and 28/2.8 at
> those focal lengths, but not even a hint that I was even
> using filters in
> this particular setting.
>
> Perhaps I am very lucky.  Or perhaps my test setup was not useful for
> purposes of exposing bad filters.  I certainly wouldn't tend
> to use filters
> (other than perhaps a warming filter) for macro.  Comments anyone?

Thanks for sharing the results of your hard work, and likewise to Gary
Reese.

The optical standards Gary uses to rate lens performance and the effect of
filters I think are far more demanding and objective than my own and I
suspect, that of many others.

I generally remove UV/Skylight filters when shooting with the Sun within or
close to the frame, shooting high mag. macro and when I am striving for
maximum contrast and sharpness.  Having said that, shots where I've left the
filter on do not appear to be significantly lacking in the contrast and
sharpness department.

>From my perspective, if I find my images consistently compare well,
projected on screen or under the loupe, to what fellow shutterbugs are
producing, then I consider myself on the right track and look to other areas
where I might improve my photography first, rather than change the optical
hardware I'm using.

At present, I reckon I can improve my photos more readily by working on my
subject selection, framing, DOF control and focussing, use of light and
polarising/color correction filters etc, rather than having a UV or Skylight
filter up front or not IMHO.

Regards
S.C.