Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter

Subject: Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter
From: "C.H.Ling" <pling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:01:38 +0800
In my opinion the main reason for electrical shutter is for auto
exposure control. Most people don't know how to set the exposure
today, what thay need is a camera that can "point and shoot". On the
other hand auto exposure is very important when speed is needed.

The mechanical shutter can be very accurate like the Nikon FE2, all
shutter has two things (or more?) to control the shutter speed, the
first one is the shutter traveling speed, like the OM it is 11ms and
Nikon FE2 is 3.3ms, it is mechanically controlled. The second one is
the slit width, it is electronically controlled for electrical
shutter. The most critical one (or the one that will affected by
aging) is the traveling speed, it is spring controlled.

C.H.Ling