Re: [OM] On the road

Subject: Re: [OM] On the road
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:07:10 -0500
The Tamron has a stellar reputation

1. Make sure it comes with the OM adapter in the price, or figure $40 extra

2. Make sure it comes with the hood, which is a bit of a monster and would be pricey to replace. I'd also want the hard case.

3. All things being equal, I'd get the one with the two converters. Your other option is to get the cheaper one and use Olympus converters, which are probably better (especially the Zuiko 1.4x). But the Zuiko 1.4 will set you back $350-400 and the 2x $100-150.

4. There was some on-list discussion a while back regarding the difference between the black and the olive versions of this lens. I vaguely remember someone saying that there was a non-IF version? Was that the black one? Anyway, I wouldn't buy a non-IF version, if they exist.. Most I see are olive.

5. For this lens, I'd drive 3 hours each way to pick my favorite. In person, you could probably negotiate a deal to cherry-pick the best lens and fill a hard case with all the goodies (hood, 2x, 1.4x, and filters), although it might cost you a bit more.

Skip who-wants-a-300/2.8-or-250/2-but-would-have-a-hard-time-hiding-it-from-the-w ife Williams