Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter

Subject: Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 17:47:59 +0000
Rikard,
Hans' Sales Info File pages are a great reference!

Originally started with an OM-10 and then added an OM-4 some time ago.
Very recently added an OM-1n specifically for its mechanical shutter.
Reasons vary and some will prefer the OM-1[n] over the OM-3[ti] or vice
versa depending on how they will be used.

Major reasons for either an OM-1[n] or OM-3[ti]:
1.  The cells are required only for the internal TTL metering.  Camera can
fully function other than metering without cells.  This can be very handy
in extreme cold weather which drops silver cell voltage output too low to
operate the shutter.  This has happened to me on two occasions with the
OM-4.  Note that the low temps slow down the chemical reaction and usually
do not damage the cells.  Once warm again, silver cells will normally
function as before.
2.  Some who do a lot of backpacking or mountain climbing into remote areas
prefer a camera that can still function (without metering) if the batteries
go dead.  Most of us don't go anywhere without an extra set, but they can
get lost or turn out to be a bad set of cells (this has also happened to
me; once in combination with cold weather affecting the first set).  A Bad
Thing when you're in the middle of a Wilderness Area nowhere near a source
for more cells.
3.  Firm believers of *completely* Manual Mode operation who want zero
temptation of an AE Mode switch position to corrupt them   ;-)

Major uses for an OM-1[n]:
1.  Astrophotography.  With a mirror lockup, the mirror can be flipped up
to eliminate mirror slap vibration when it is fitted to a high power
telescope (or a super long telephoto).  With the electronic shuttered
bodies, one must use the self timer to prefire the mirror which is a
workaround, but also an inconvenience.  The OM-3[ti] does not have a mirror
lockup, nor does it have a self timer that will prefire the mirror.
2.  For those who also have an OM-2[n] it is similar except no aperture
priority AE mode.

Major uses for an OM-3[ti]:
1.  Has all the spot metering functions of the OM-4[T].  Great for all the
Ansel Adams fans who use the Zone System, or some variation of it, and
others who prefer to spot meter.
2.  The OM-3ti will also handle an F280 flash just like the OM-4T (doesn't
apply to the OM-3/4).
3.  For those who have an OM-{2S,4[T]} the OM-3[ti] is similar in controls
and operation.

These are what I can think of; others may have their reasons to add to this.

Why do I have an OM-4 and OM-1n?  First, the cold weather problem which I
didn't think was such a big deal until it finally happened!  After the
second occurrence I decided it was time for a mechanical body.  Second, the
OM-1n is also used for some specialized things I used to use the OM-10 for
such as composite panoramics.  It also allows having two film types loaded
(usually color neg in the OM-1n and reversal in the OM-4).

-- John