Re: [OM] astigmatism

Subject: Re: [OM] astigmatism
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:10:48 EST

> Hum -- looking at MTF curves a lot of lenses (esp wide angles and zooms)
> have
>  very high astigmatism  relative to telephoto lenses.
>
>  Is  this something that is actually visible in prints -- does it have a
>  positive or negative affect on nature shots/closeups/... Does it  help or
>  hurt bokeh ?

I guess you're talking about the sagittal and tangential MTF results.  I
would venture that what would be visible is a combination of both of these
MTF results.  If one result is good, it could be degraded by the other.  The
question is whether the image will look closer to the better MTF figure or
worse MTF figure.

Warren