[OM] IF-lenses and focal length

Subject: [OM] IF-lenses and focal length
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam2@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:54:38 +0100
Hello Zuiks and Zuikettes,

As I read my friends complaining about too much off topic debates and
wanting to answer some more technical questions, I think I finally found a
question that could draw some people out of the lurking mode, especially
since I cannot remember this question ever asked before since I am on this
list (must be about 4 years now allready, moved with it twice)

Do Internal Focus lenses indeed change focal length while focussing on close
objects?
How much is this effect?
Is it the same for all IF lenses of the same focal length?
Is this common for normal focussing lenses also?
What is the explanation on this behaviour?

I have read that at closest focus, the actual focal length of the 350/2.8 is
only 270mm!

I have not checked this myself but can only refer to heresay. My only
reference to the mentioned lens is that I have held it once (Thanks to
Frank).

Well, let's see if you techs can find a challenge in this one!

Wiliam Wagenaar,
Middelburg NL