Re: [OM] iS cameras (Was OM 77 (707) -Reply)

Subject: Re: [OM] iS cameras (Was OM 77 (707) -Reply)
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:38:47 -0000
Per Nordenberg wrote:

>Actually they've developed no less than seven different AF SLR cameras
after
>OM-7(0)7, namely the iS cameras  ;)
>http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif/is-series/is-series.htm

Not knowing much about the iS range of cameras, I looked at Hans'
informative page last week and was surprised to see that they have focal
plane shutters. I've always thought of them as inferior, except for the top
speed(s), to interlens types and a necessary evil just to allow the lens to
be removed - I can't think of any other 35mm camera without interchangeable
lenses that has employed them. I assume that Oly decided to sacrifice flash
synchronisation ease for higher top speeds and to employ a hi-tech, and
expensive, flash system to reduce the f.p. disadvantage.
Ideally, such a 'ZLR' concept camera would have both types of shutter fitted
for the advantages of each in different situations, and it would be nice if
the user could decide which, but more likely these days, the designers would
insist that the camera's 'intelligence' would choose.
There's nothing new about the dual shutter idea, it was available in large
format many decades ago.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)