Re: [OM] toolbag from Home Depot

Subject: Re: [OM] toolbag from Home Depot
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 00:39:31 +0000
At 02:29 3/8/00 , Gary Edwards suggested:
>Anyway, I think the diaper bag idea is the best, but there are probably some
>stupid/weird or whatever crooks out there who will steal even a diaper bag!

This is a great idea if you have a Zuikoholic-in-training toddling along
with you, but looks a little out of place if there aren't any ankle-biters
to be seen.  I have little doubt there are at least one or two in this
world who would steal a diaper bag hoping for dirty diapers (think of their
disappointment when they find pristine camera gear instead) but it's a
lesser number than those who would go for the cameras.

One of the other ideas I was told about was taking the *new* Tamrac, Domke
or [fill in name of favorite bag] and driving your [fill in name of
favorite SUV] back and forth over it a half-dozen times.  If you do this I
strongly recommend *removing* all of your precious Oly stuff (that you
worked so hard to get past the gatekeeper) from it first.  This beats up
the bag enough that it doesn't shout "brand new" any more and is far less
attractive to thieves.  "Beater" bag equals "beater" (worthless) cameras
inside.  Mind you, I've never done this and don't plan to.  A friend of
mine at work actually does this to every new camera bag.  Somthing I had
not thought about before:  it does provide instant plausible deniability of
having purchased a new camera bag!

-- John