Re: [OM] 24 mm lens again

Subject: Re: [OM] 24 mm lens again
From: "Woodruff" <swaool@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:43:43 -0500
Alan wrote:

"I looked at the negatives but it was hard to tell with the loop they had. I
have a nicer loop but it is at my parents house many days away."

In the absence of a loupe, one can demount a normal (50/1.8 or 1.4) lens,
and turn it around, looking from back to front.  This will get you close to
about 5x, I think, probably enough to tell whether your negatives are sharp
or not.

That said, as we all know, many of those one-hour labs are operated by
semi-literate minimum wage earners who know very little about what they're
doing.  I've had fuzzy prints made from sharp negatives by mass market
processors more times than I can count.  If this is the case, go back and
speak to the manager, and demand that the prints be redone while you wait.
Once you've made them do this a few times, they'll usually get your prints
done right the first time, because they know you'll be back to complain!

Good luck,

Mike Woodruff
Largo, FL