[OM] The wisdom(?) of using a UV filter

Subject: [OM] The wisdom(?) of using a UV filter
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 08:57:11 -0800
Ray Moth wrote [in a no subject thread]:

<< If UV is that much of a problem, don't modern lenses already provide
the necessary protection? >>

Modern films do.  Just look at literature regarding specific types of
films.  You will see a UV inhibiting layer in them.

Perhaps the best thing about folks using a UV/Clear/Haze filter is that
it increases the odds for those who are wiser to capture a better shot!
If you haven't done with and without comparisons of your filters at wide
open apertures, you'll never know.

Just a hint for new List subscribers, I posted lens performance data
with and without a poorly made but visually fine looking filter at:

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

go to the tests for:
50mm f/1.4 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-2000 with mirror and diaphram prefire; lens with
>1,000,000 serial number

you will see better than 1 SQF letter grade deterioration, at wider
apertures,  with use of a Vivitar VMC filter typical of the reject list
I very recently posted. It took stopping down to f/8 to be free of
detectable image deterioration.

By the way, last night my OM-2000 wind lever jammed (after about 100
rolls into its life). Hum, maybe I'd better eat crow over my praise for
the OM-2000?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV