[OM] [OT] general note about OT posts/condescending jokes was metric bla

Subject: [OM] [OT] general note about OT posts/condescending jokes was metric blah blah blah
From: Dylan Sutton <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:33:09 +1100 (EST)
I thought the intended humour in both my "metric rules OK" posts was pretty
obvious, but put a little 'smiley' on the end just to make _absolutely_
sure nobody could be offended. I wanted to offend anyone, I would just be
blunt about it - check my posting record on deja if you don't believe me!
So please, if I ever use a 'smiley', or if there's even the remotest chance
I'm being 'tongue in cheek', I probably am. To use the colloquial
Australian expression, I'm a bit of a 'shit stirrer'!

If you see the intended humour and still think I'm [or someone else is]
being condescending, there are three ways to deal with it:
1 you can just ignore it, and think to yourself "what an arrogant little prick"
2 you can reply _in good humour_ with an equally off-colour joke about the
beliefs of the person who offended you
3 you can reply to the list with a "this could easily turn into a flame
war, but _I'm_ above that sort of thing" post [like this one]
4 you can go completely nuts a la Jan & George

1 and 2 are my preferred in principle options.

Charlie, I agree with you that few [none in my brief time on this list]
on-topic posts ever degenerate into flame fests, but really think you
should be swallowing some of your own medicine, Peace, Love and
Understanding notwithstanding. This probably sounds even more
condescending, but the real cause of flame wars IMNSHO is not people being
OFFENSIVE, but people getting DEFENSIVE. If you know you're right, and the
other guy is just being a prat, what's the big deal? If it's obvious to
you, it won't be obvious to _only_ you, so just let the other guy (eg me,
in this case) go on making a fool of himself.
[this last bit in general, not addressed specifically to Charlie]
If you (or me or anyone) don't like where something is going, walk away and
it won't go there [obviously this doesn't apply to everything eg genocide,
but it holds pretty well for trivialities like metric vs imperial]. But if
you're going to do that, just do it, don't tell us all about it.
Far too many times I've seen posts along the lines of "I'm not going to
continue this thread because it's a waste of my time....but just before I
go I'll throw in a few barbs and try to rebut all your arguments...but
don't bother replying because I won't be listening, because I'm the Good
Guy (TM)", and the result is never pretty whichever side of the debate I
happen to personally believe in.

Dylan