Re: [OM] Lens hood - 40/2

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens hood - 40/2
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 20:32:51 EST

> > It strikes me as odd that a hood which is good for the 85/2 is also for
> the
>  > 40/2, which has  twice the angle of view. If the hood for the 85 fits on
> the
>  > 40, without causing vignetting, I would have to say that its not such a
> good
>  > hood for the 85, which would benefit from a deeper hood.
>  >
The 40/2 is designed for flatness which puts the front element as far forward
as possible, which is different than the construction of the 85/2, which as
front element that is not deep nor is it shallow.  This is part of the genius
of Zuiko engineering.  The best example of this is the hood for the
35-70/3.6.  This hood appears to be too deep for a 35mm angle but the front
element goes to a very forward position on zooming wide and recedes to the
back for telephoto.  The result:  a perfect hood.

Warren