[OM] Zuiko 300mm/F2.8 reported in Kadlubek's Lens Catalogue; Houten

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 300mm/F2.8 reported in Kadlubek's Lens Catalogue; Houten
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 23:21:19 +0100
Today at the camera trade show in Houten, Holland, I looked in the recently
published Kadlubek's Lens Catalogue to see what they had to tell about the
Zuiko's, and found three mystery lenses. An off-brand shift lens made for OM
mount
(forgot the name), a 150mm/F4 (a typo? did they mean the 75-150?) and a
300mm/F2.8. This would not be a typo since the 350/2.8 was there too. Now this
is
interesting, since I remember that maybe 1.5 year ago I visited a camera shop in
Amsterdam and the salesman told me he recently sold an Olympus 300mm/F2.8. So
would his story be true after all? Did Olympus make a very limited run of this
lens for a selected group of clients? Also intriguing was the supposed market
price for this lens - it was only a couple of hundred dollars according to
Kadlubek. For a lens no one on this list has ever seen, and does not appear in
any
official Oly manual... What is it, a hoax or The Most Wanted Oly Collectors Item
(leaving the OM-1 Gold in second place)?

The show at least partially solved another mystery - I got my hands on a 45mm
filter (non-Oly) and can now confirm that the back of the Olympus Auto bellows
front plate does *not* have a 45mm filter thread. Since it measures 44mm
inwards,
and 44.5 is not an existing filter size, it can't be a filter thread at all. I
did
see a genuine Olympus 45mm yellow slide-on filter (anyone any suggestion for
what
optics that filter would have been made?) - maybe it would have fit inside the
bellows, but I didn't buy it or try it.

I had one nice deal at the show: a T10 Ring Flash 1 for only f.100 ($45). For
the
rest I could only drool at some Zuik-cookies that all needed more cash than I
currently can afford: I saw a 38/2.8, 21/2, 24/2, 50/2, 90/2 and 500/8... The
21/2
and 50/2 were nice priced, but still way out of current reach.

hnz