Re: [OM] New thread - Cheap Trix: Diffusers

Subject: Re: [OM] New thread - Cheap Trix: Diffusers
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:57:05 -0600
At 10:42 PM 2/23/2000 +0000, John Lind wrote:
>Other Cheap Tricks:
>
>If all you need is a white diffuser to go over the front of a T-20, T-32 or
>F280 you can do it with a clean white men's handkerchief and a rubberband.
>Been using that trick for years.  "TTL Auto" mode will automagically
>compensate even though you do lose some of the guide number.

A couple weeks ago Tim Hughes suggested cutting a piece of plastic milk jug
to slip in the slot in front of the T32. I've been experimenting with this
and really like the results.  It's harder to make it work with the T20,
since you have to cut the plastic somewhat to overlap the lens on top and
bottom and then use rubber bands to hold it on.  But the results with the
T20 also are worth the trouble.  I find there to be very little loss of
light using this method.  Thanks Tim.

Thanks also to Gregg Iverson for the suggestion to use one on-camera flash
and another in bounce mode on the BG2.  This method coupled with use of the
milk jug diffuser makes a very quick, very natural-looking lighting scenario.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA