Re: [OM] photo book recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] photo book recommendations
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:42:07 +1000
Joey Richards wrote:

> I came into the possession of a $100 gift certificate for amazon.com
> (traded a resume for it; I"m not sure quite how that worked...)
>
> I figured I would use it to expand my photo library.  Right now, the
> only book I have is Horenstein's "Black and White Photography: a
> Basic Manual."

Books that I recommend to others...

"The 35mm Panorama" by Roger Hicks: where-in the author realises that --
at least for him -- the 35mm SLR is the ideal landscape camera, despite
his earlier conviction that only "proper" work is done with large
format. Not particularly brand-specific, but he uses Nikon and Leica-M.

"The Perfect Portfolio" by Brackman (don't remember name): though it's
about putting together a killer portfolio, it also discusses
presentation of work and the need for a photographer to identify their
goals. No technique or equipment stuff in it.

As a third one, try to get a copy of the OM System handbook that was
published in the mid 1980s. Unfortunately it won't be at Amazon. ;-(

Consider getting some "art" books too on painting or sculpture or
architecture or whatever moves you. I picked up a big format book on the
work of Edward Hopper at one of those cheapie book stores, and it's
great, inspiring, and matches my photographic style to a tee.

Finally, pick up some books devoted solely to photographers that you
admire (monographs I think they call them in the industry). I have one
on Paul Strand, a photographer whose vision and style I like a lot. The
day books of Edward Weston are good, so is AA's biography (probably
better than The Negative etc IMHO).

Oh. And avoid any book whose title has "The Complete..." or "The
Ultimate..." or
"... for Dummies" in it. ;-)

Vaughan