[OM] Re: Self Portraits

Subject: [OM] Re: Self Portraits
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:39:56 +1000
Phillip Franklin  wrote:

> To stay on the same topic. Does any one remember a very famous Leica photo
> which shows the
> model holding a rangefinder Leica as if doing a self portrait?  It is a
> classic.  Several
> years ago a famous fashion model almost recreated that shot by really
> shooting herself in
> the mirror with a Nikon F1.  At the time it made all of the photo mags. I
> believe that shot
> was done in the early 1970's.  I assume the Leica shot was done in the mid to
> late 1960's.
> Anyway they are both cool.  I just want to develop this technique for use in
> creative
> portraiture.  Looking at all of the complexities of shooting with strobes, I
> can see why
> it's seldomly done.  But again it's cool.

The Leica shot was done by Andre Kertez I think. The camera as probably
an M2, it definately had a very wide lens with optical finder.

I doubt that either one of these was a "self portrait" done in a mirror
by the models. Look at the photographs, the lighting is exquisite on
both the person and the camera. It takes an artist to do that...

BTW anybody remember the Olympus advert for the 707 (I think) with the
lens strapped to Grace Jones' face? Done by David Bailey I think.
Anybody remember Grace Jones? Or Bailey for that matter?