Re: [OM] Shooting into the Looking Glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting into the Looking Glass
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:21:59 +0000
At 20:49 2/20/00 , I wrote:
>At 00:05 2/21/00 , Phillip Franklin wondered:
>>Also are any of you experieced at shooting self portraits into a mirror?  I
>>know it is a strange thing to do, but it seems interesting.
>
>I've done it several times.  Two issues.  The image you get will be

A third one just came to mind as it happened to me once.  Depending on the
mirror used, light sources, angle of image reflection, etc., you can get a
ghost reflection.  A standard wall or door mirror is glass with the
silvering behind the glass.  You *will* get a secondary reflection off of
the surface of the glass in addition to the primary one from the silvering
behind the glass.  How strong the secondary "ghost" image is and whether or
not you will be able to see it in the final image depends on a lot of
factors including the mirror itself!  When you set up for it, look
carefully for hints of a ghost image.  If you can see it in the
/viewfinder/ you will see it in the print.  Sometimes it is impossible to
see in the small and dimmer viewfinder image, so also look to see if you
can detect it just looking into the mirror.  If it's exceptionally weak,
you likely won't see it in the image.  If you use direct, undiffused flash,
all bets are off on the ghost image and your guess is as good as mine on
whether you'll see it in the print.

BTW, same thing applies to photographing reflections off of windows . . .
especially double-paned ones found in colder climates . . . you'll get a
second image off of the second pane and it can be a pain to get rid of.

-- John