[OM] re: camera storage/silica gel

Subject: [OM] re: camera storage/silica gel
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:17:53 EST
I realize a lot of talk has been about silica gel as a good desiccant, but I
have not seen anybody mention Drierite.  I used it in chemistry class some
time ago and in biological applications.  The following are some links you
might be interested in.  Of course, everybody may know about this stuff and
choose not to use it.  I always thought it would be better than silica gel
b/c it is not a powder.  In any case, check out these links if interested:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/d8906.htm
This is an MSDS sheet that will tell you everything! you need to know about
this stuff.

http://www.a-msystems.com/pulmonary/products/absorbents/drierite.asp
This is a place that sells it.  Although, I didn't read enough to know
whether they would sell it to any of us.  One could probably find this stuff
at most biological supply houses.  Also, I think it is pretty cheap b/c we
used to always throw the stuff away rather than recharge it.

--p.j.
WTB: 80/4 Macro (auto), 135/4.5 Macro, auto bellows, T-20 and/or T-32
        [unlike most, I prefer user condition. that way I can use it and not
worry
         scratching some paint off.  of course, has to be working properly
w/out
         damage]