[OM] Overheard on the B&W list.... OM Zone

Subject: [OM] Overheard on the B&W list.... OM Zone
From: "Rick Beckrich" <RBeckric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:34:44 -0500
>John Hicks 2/18/2000 11:58 AM
>John said:
><snip>
>  Yes, you do want that big slug of air in the tank and all the sloshing
>that occurs.
>
>  I can just about guarantee that you're not getting really sufficient
>agitation with a full tank.

..... Learning the Zone system really helped improve the quality of my
work- I shoot almost exclusively on 35mm with a number of bodies and
lenses.
     If you go through the process to determine a standard E.I. and
development time and temperature with just the one setup you use the most
(in my case it was Tri-X in Rodinal in my OM-4 with 35mm 2.8 attached,
printed through an El?Nikkor 50mm) it gives you a rock to stand on- then
you can adjust exposures and development for your other gear or films by
eye/intuition.
You might find that your zoom or after market  lenses have less contrast
or that a small increase in exposure with your telephoto will yield much
better detail in the shadow areas of your prints. You'll also know how
much to alter your development time if you shoot on an overcast day
instead of a sunny day.

russ

(Excerpted from <<puresilver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>  Rick)