Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question

Subject: Re: [OM] mail order from Canada question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:45:48 +0000
At 03:35 2/16/00 , Garth wrote:
>people south of the border).  Frankly, the way you find out about import
>duties into the U.S. is to talk to U.S. Customs, *not* a Canadian business.
>U.S. Customs is the final authority for such info.  It's a rare business
>that'll have authoritative info on the import rules and regs of another
>country (Hell, it's hard enough finding out about our *own* rules...).  I
>encourage you to let your fingers do the walking through the government
>pages of your local telephone directory.

Garth and P.J.:
Our Customs regulations on things inbound to the U.S. are no less daunting.
 If you can't determine where it falls clearly on the site I gave, then
call U.S. Customs and ask, but have as much definitive information as
possible.  As to classifications, only the Supreme Being (if you believe in
one) has any idea why they are defined the way they are.  Garth is
absolutely right, U.S. Customs has the _final_ word on interpretation in
spite of what the site might say.  There is a method for appeal but it is
more daunting than the book of HTS codes.  Might be worth it for a quarter
million dollar piece of manufacturing equipment but it's not for what you
and I would normally buy for personal use.

-- John