[OM] RE: olympus-digest V2 #1448

Subject: [OM] RE: olympus-digest V2 #1448
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:06:28 -0000
Cc: "'siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Acer,

you wrote:

>> Well, a couple days ago you read it...
>> I was becoming anxious, so I decided to check the cell, "625 A
>> China". Sure enough, that's alkaline...
>> The selle was honest in everything, so I took his word that it was using
>> Hg cell (he too had bought it second hand, and I was third to buy this
>> minty chrome -1n). K64 exposed late Dec. was perfect, so the cell must
>> have died from then.
>>
>> However, when I noted the 2 stop error (chrome showing +2), I swapped
>> cells, and the error was still there, exact same exposure readings,
chrome
>> showing +2 from the the black -1n, which is accurate.
>>
>> Still, once the batts were swapped, why the same error?

Perhaps your chrome -1n has had its meter recalibrated for the 1.5v cell.

That could mean that - as you say - the alkaline cell has died recently and
is now giving less than 1.5v, and would also explain why the meter is still
in error when you fit a new 1.35v mercury cell and why the "dead" alkaline
cell seem to give a correct reading in the black body.

I believe that tweaking the meter calibration is the "not recommended"
method of adapting for non-mercury cells, as there is the chance of the
higher voltage burning out the meter coil. It might even be the case,
however, that the chome body has had a diode fitted internally to
drop the voltage, which is (IIRC) the correct mod.

Maybe the first owner had this done, and the second just kept feeding it
silver or alkaline cells without knowing why.

Of course this interpretation depends on what you mean by "chrome showing
+2".
I'm assuming that you mean that the chrome body indicates 2 stops *more*
exposure,
i.e. it reads 2 stops *less* light. Otherwise my guess is void.

-Brian