[OM] zone system

Subject: [OM] zone system
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:31:41 -0800 (PST)
==================
>>The Zone System was pioneered by Minor White (I think) and codified by Ansel
>>Adams.<<

for a little history-
http://www.cicada.com/pub/photo/zs/faq/q02.html

"Fred Archer was an instructor at the Art Center College in Los Angeles. He
formed the basis of the zone system in a
series of articles in the old U.S.Camera  magazine that were published in the
late 30's. Adams noticed these contacted
Archer and went on to more formally define the current language of the zone
system."
==================

Although Ansel Adams certainly didn't pull it all out of thin air, he did
develop the Zone System to a much greater degree of precision, and
contributed much in the way of incorporating precise darkroom controls
into the method.  Ansel's contributions were so large that he is very
deserving of having his name associated with the Zone System for
posterity.  Nobody before him had anywhere near as complete a system.

=================
>>It really only works in all its aspects with large format view cameras, field
>>cameras, etc. since each piece of film
can be processed separately.<<
=================

Ansel himself used the Zone system with hasselblad medium format cameras
as well as large format cameras.  For this, you just need 5 film backs,
1 for straight development, and a +1, +2, -1, -2 back as well.
alternatively, you can carry five 35mm SLR bodies and do the zone system
in 35mm.  You also can dispense with the +/-2 development controls and
use a 3-back or 3-body outfit for a straight or +/-1 development control
system.

Although not many color negative films are amenable to push and pull
processing (a few like Fuji 800 and Ektapress will push ok), you
can get the spirit of the zone system by carrying 3 films, say Reala
for long tonal scale negatives, Fuji Superia 100 for high contrast negatives,
and Agfa Optima 100 for normal contrast negatives.  But you have to
calibrate your technique and meter if you plan to exercise the level
of control of tonal range that Ansel was able to marshall, and there
aren't as many printing controls on account of color shifts.

Joseph