[OM] Value of an OM-3Ti (and every thing else)

Subject: [OM] Value of an OM-3Ti (and every thing else)
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 02:36:55 -0800
Tom & others,

If you are willing spend that much to get the OM3Ti why not just get the body
new?  Based on
your purchase of the used 4T, I would think you would be a little gun shy to
buy another
used body.  My own experience has been pretty good on buying used bodies and
lenses, however
the used ones never compare to a brand new peice of equipment.  I've noticed
that all of the
new equipment I purchased still looks close to new even though some of it is 12
to 15 years
old.  Some of the bargain used pieces have never really perfomed as new, and
some of them
end up going in for repair after just a few years of use. My only regret now is
I wish I
would have purchased everyting brand new back in the late 1980's. Also I have
seen some used
equipment being offered for sale that looks really bad.  Do some people use
this stuff to
hammer nails? Oh I've seen some photo journalists beat the hell of their stuff.
I sure would
not want to end up with someone's abused stuff.

Just one other note that I think most will find interesting.  My neighbor
intoduced me to an
old friend of his who has a very extensive camera collection, and it includes a
huge
assortment on mint OM equipment.  He told me he has been a camera collector
since the end of
World War II.  Well the other day he invited me to his "museum" in Rancho Santa
Fe. I was
really impressed by old rangefinder Nikon's original Leica's and some fine
Rollei's.  But
when I saw the collection of mint OM stuff, I was surprised.  He said he never
intended to
collect the OM line, but ended up buying a camera shop in order to aquire it's
real-estate.
I think this was in the mid 1980's.  He intended on selling the inventory but
no one seemed
to want it back then.  He said the Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and point & shoots
were all
purchased by some inventory liquidators.  He kept some things just because he
thouht they
would be a part of his collection.  He got stuck with all of the OM stuff
(probably because
he got attached to it).  I noticed a brand new OM-1n, OM-2n, OM-2s, OM3, and
OM4.  I also
noticed a brand new 100mm 2.0  a winder or two and several lenses including a
shift and a
few macros.  I asked him if he wanted to sell it, and he laughed.  It's all now
part of his
"museum".  His working cameras consist of a Leica M4, Canon EOS, and a Hassy
503. After
looking at his home I realize he does not need the money.  I just hope he
remembers me in
his will.

Phillip Franklin