[OM] Analog Designed lenses for Digital Capture

Subject: [OM] Analog Designed lenses for Digital Capture
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 01:54:35 -0800
I've been reading several posts on this subject and basically I think what the
Oly rep said
was more marketing mumbo jumbo than a good answer to a very straight foward
question.
Certainly the Zuiko lenses could do a pretty decent job in digital photography
just as the
Nikon and Canon lenses are doing in both digital still and  digital video
photography.  One
thing has been left out of this discussion which is important to note.  That is
any high
quality image capture will use a 3 CCD array.  Not the single chip that is used
in most
consumer grade equipment. I would agree that using a traditional analog
designed lens would
not work optimally for a single chip capture.  I'm certainly no optics expert
but if one
were to look at the quality pro offerings in both digital still and video one
would
probabaly better understand this. As newer chip formulations and densities
evolve there will
certainly be newer lens designs to take advantage of these newer developments.
Right now
most professional ccd arrays are designed to work as best as they can with
available
lenses.  If Oly wanted to they could design arrays to take advantage of their
Zuiko lenses.
Whether or not this is a good marketing plan is up to them.  But I hate
marketing mumbo
jumbo about buckets or whatever when we know damn well that the rep knows very
little about
which he/she speaks.

Phillip Franklin