Re: [OM] Re: Giles

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Giles
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 22:15:15 -0800
At 12:36 AM 09-02-00  Wednesday  -0600, : "Samuel Morales" wrote:

Giles the United States unfortunately prides itself in litigation.  There's
good and bad about it.  As far as financial harm or loss.  In the United
States, this is called damages. i.e. your slanderous statement which was
untrue caused me a financial hardship and I had to go out of business.

There was a case here in the United States were a talk show host was sued
for damages for allegedly slandering the beef cattle industry. (mad cow
disease)  Her name was Oprah Winfrey, you may have heard of her.

The department of English at the University of Alberta in Edmonton ..... supposedly one of Canada's better universities ....... has a course which studies Oprah's literary contribution to our mother tongue! One wag opined that it was yet another piece of academic fluff. I tend to agree. At least Oprah might have some merit considering that you can get a degree in golf course management at the University of New Mexico!!

jh