Re: [OM] Copying slides

Subject: Re: [OM] Copying slides
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:56:24 -0500
At 2:08 PM -0800 2/9/00, "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You might want to check out www.photosolve.com  He has a cheap adapter for a
Kodak DC260/265/290 (I have a 265) for just this purpose.  I hear its great.

This has gotten me thinking, if an OM mount digital camera ever comes
along,
that would be one heck of a compliment to the OM slide copier/80mm/bellows
setup
for digitizing slides.... I wonder what their take on such an idea would
be...
(1) silly, (2) potential cannibalism of their digitizer business or (3)
enhancement to the OM system.

With the current generation of digital camera, it ain't really
worth it, imo. I've been trying it with a C-2000, and the sharpness and
dynamic range just aren't there compared to a halfway decent slide scanner.
The results are too muddy and require too much tweaking, plus bleeding on
the highlights yadda yadda.(Only 8 bits per color base resolution compared
to 10 or 12 in scanners) I am sorta thinking of trying again with a camera
that has B&W mode so I can do a three-filter arrangement...

paul

Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx