Re: [OM] Vivitar series 1 28-105 varifocal -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar series 1 28-105 varifocal -Reply
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:52:36 EST
In a message dated 2000-02-08 12:33:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
SNelson@xxxxxxxx writes:

<< I also have this lens and find it's results very good. It is much heavier
and
 longer than your average Zuiko. Varifocal zooms represent a divergent design
 philosophy. If you drop the requirement for continuous focus, it's much
easier
 to design a zoom lens that is very sharp at any given focal length. So, if
you
 can do without continuous focus, a varifocal will get you a fast lens that's
as
 sharp as a much more expensive lense, once you get it in focus. In summary,
 varifocals are not about ease of use but ease of design.

 I don't know why it is a Varifocal lens, possibly to make
 it faster to use.

Scott,

     What's it like in terms of handling and usage with a varifocal versus
the regular zooms?

Thanks.

Alex