Re: [OM] How many aperture blades on 50/2 macro?

Subject: Re: [OM] How many aperture blades on 50/2 macro?
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:15:53 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

|John A Prosper asked this (and has been answered, so I won't repeat it here).
|
|Which brings me to another question:
|As this lens is so good why do people suggest that 8 or 9 blades are
|preferred? The Zuiko 100 f/2.8 also has only 6 blades but also has good
|performance (including bokeh). Is the "more blades=better" a myth? There is
|likely to be some improvement but I suspect it is not as important as some
|people maintain. Those of you with 9-blade lenses please don't feel too bad
|about it ;-)

The more blades you have, the more circular the out of focus (i.e.,
bokeh) diaphram "reflections" in the background, which seems to
increase the bokeh quality.  The high blade count is more important
with teles since they have much less depth of field than wider lenses;
so I am not seriously disappointed with the 50/2 blade count.  ;-)