Re: [OM] Interesting item on eBay web site item#252885791: OLYMP

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting item on eBay web site item#252885791: OLYMP
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:21:17 +0000
I would advise caution about libelling someone via the Internet if they
live in a different country than you do.

Other countries can have far more draconian laws on libel than does the
US.  Australia and Singapore as just two examples.

In Australia you can libel someone even if what you say about them is
true and provable, you would have to prove that what you said about
someone was both true and that it was in the publics interest to know
about it.

In Singapore you can libel a politician and be jailed for it
by just holding an opposing political view - if you are an opposition
party politician that is.

If you libel someone in another country just make sure you never travel
to that country ;-)

Usually libel has nothing to do with financial loss as far as I know.
It usually relates to harm to a persons reputation or standing.

Giles