RE: [OM] Boston area

Subject: RE: [OM] Boston area
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 17:35:35 -0500
Marc,
I lived in the Boston area for 5 years, loved it.
Hopefully, you're staying downtown.  Don't miss Fanuiel (spelling?) Hall and
all that is near it.  Great place to take a camera, especially on a Saturday
afternoon.
Paul Revere's house is pretty near there too.  There is a trail you can
follow, red paint on sidewalk and streets, it is called the Freedom Trail.
You can enter it at any place and tour the area.
Go to see the USS Constitution (wooden sailing ship still commissioned by US
Navy) if possible, you can walk on the Freedom Trail, but it is about 1/2
hour.  Also near there is a good display talking/showing where there was a
big battle between colonials and British troops.
Visit the "North End"  very close to downtown, again you can walk.  Ask
anyone for directions to a good restaurant, there are many in that area.
The North End is primarily Italian.
Also, if you like (love) roast beef, go to Durgin Park. It is a restaurant
on the second level near, very near Fanuiel Hall.  MASSIVE servings of roast
beef!!!
Another place famous for food is Anthony's Pier 4, better place is Green
Door.  If you go to Green Door, you'll need to take your own alcoholic
beverages if you want to drink.  It is perfectly OK.
If you have access to a car, do something a little different and go up Route
1 (I think) a little way and visit the Saugus Iron Works.  It is an  iron
foundry built in 1643.  Now run by the National Park System.  Not real busy,
but quite interesting, good place for photos.

There is also a boat you can tour to see the "Boston Tea Party", where the
colonials protested TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!  A bar near there is
called "Cheers", but that isn't the real one, it is in a different part of
town at the Hamilton House Hotel.  The real one isn't quite as cool-looking
as the one near the Tea Party Boat.

Also near the same area is the Boston Children's Museum, don't laugh, it's
great!  Computer Museum is also quite good as well as the Aquarium.
I moved from Boston in '86 and I'm sure there's a lot more now, especially
construction.  You should have a great time!

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,
anybody from Boston's area ?
I'll probably go there at the end of march. I'm interested about information
about places "un-missables". I don't think I'll have a lot of free time as I
come for work...but I hope to find some time to meet some Boston's
listmembers.
I'm also interested by "OM collecting places"... (Zuikoholism...)
regards
marc
Namur (Belgium)