Re: [OM] virus alert (HOAX!)

Subject: Re: [OM] virus alert (HOAX!)
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 Feb 2000 11:49:40 +1000
Lou Riina <lriina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> Dear All FYI
> Lou
> >Subject:  Fwd: virus alert

It's a hoax.

This one is straight from the stanard "virus/trojan hoax"
boilerplate---it has all the classic clauses.

Please don't *EVER* send these things without checking a virus hoax
site first.

> > >  It just went into circulation yesterday, as far as we know.  Please
> > >  distribute this message. This is a new, very malicious virus and not
> > >  many people know about it. This information was announced yesterday
> > >  morning from Microsoft.

Hint one: Since when was Microsoft an antivirus company?

> > >  Please share it with everyone that might access the Internet.
> > >
> > >  Once again, pass this along to EVERYONE in your address book so that
> > >  this may be stopped.

Hint two: The urge to propagate.

> > >  AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus and that there is

Hint three: A second appeal to spurious authority.

For more info on this hoax: http://www.Europe.F-Secure.com/hoaxes/budfrogs.htm

cjb