Re: [OM] lens comparasons

Subject: Re: [OM] lens comparasons
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:43:22 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:29:24 -0500, Gregg Iverson wrote:

> When tuning an instrument,
>thinking of a piano for instance, after using a meter to get it "just
>right", tuners go back and tweak the notes to make the octaves sound
>true.

Although I agree that lens tests need to allow for the subjective
element, tuning pianos is actually fairly simple according to which
model of intonation the tuner uses. He can tune each note precisely
toa given standard (A=440) for even intonation, or he can adjusy
certain notes higher or lower to achieve just intonation. To many
ears, even intonation sounds alittle harsh, so just intonation is
most commonly used.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel