Re: [OM] Photos: Eclipse and 35-80/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos: Eclipse and 35-80/2.8
From: george <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:38:34 -0800
Zuiks;

Copied below is eMail I received off-list, and my response.  I think
John has helped me understand much of the reason the barrel distortion
was so pronounced on this photo, but is not present in my others.
Anyone else (Gary Reese?) care to comment on this?

Thanks

george

John wrote:

> Hi, George,
> I've been out of serious photography for about 20 yrs.  But if my memory
> serves me, barrel or pincushion increases as you get more and more out of
> level with the straight line you're worried about, like the horizon.  When
> you are absolutely on the same level with it, the distortion is minimized.
> Could this be why some of your other pictures don't exhibit the same degree
> of distortion?  Or is my memory flawed?  Or have you already considered this
> possibility?
> John

John!

You may very well be correct. I hadn't thought of this, but it makes
sense.  I looked again at some similar slides I took another evening:
ocean sunset, horizon at about same part of frame.  Difference?  In
these, the horizon is perfectly straight and, I was sitting comfortably
on the beach with the tripod in front of my chair. (Hey, honey, another
Corona, por favor).

In the photo with the barrel distortion, I was on the deck of a hotel,
about 10-15 feet above the water, so the camera *was* aimed down a bit
to get the rocky foreground.  I think you've id'd an easy way to avoid
the problem.

george