Re: [OM] Re: Galen Rowell And His Films

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Galen Rowell And His Films
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:18:03 -0600
>Actually, I have never enjoyed Galen's photos. I am not saying that they =
>are not good, just that most of his work that I have seen are unusually =
>colored mountain scenes or same-oh stuff done before that mean or do =
>nothing for me. Of coarse this is just opinion from a nobody in the =
>photographic field. Accusing any company of stealing something in =
>defense of Fuji is ludicrous. The Japanese stole, borrowed, or bought =
>everything in sight to get where they are now. Nobody does it better.

I don't think that it is productive to slam another photographer's work,
however every successful photographer is typically successful primarily
through effective marketing.  This is usually independant of his/her
overall skill as a photographer.  Except for "Wild Horses of Patagonia" I
have a hard time finding any of GR's work origional or unique.  Sure, there
a few shots here and there, but as a general rule his work is pretty much
"be there."  I doubt that he will be recognized as a "great photographer"
fifty years from now, but I really don't think it is his goal anyway.

As far as his anti-Kodak attitude:  Just remember he is a frustrated
activist--needing something to vent on and a successful American business
is an easy target.

Come on, the guy shoots with a Canon Rebel.

Ken Norton