Re: [OM] 7mm auto ext tube

Subject: Re: [OM] 7mm auto ext tube
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:45:10 +0100
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:45:00 +0200 (EET), Robin M Allen
<rallen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello Everybody
>
>This is my first post to this list so please be nice if I say anything silly.

I'll try to behave myself ;-)

>I have a seen a used 7mm OM auto extension tube for sale and am wondering
>whether to buy it.  I examined it and found that neither of the levers that
>communicate with the body are sprung loaded as they both are in my 14mm OM
>auto tube.  Is this how it should be?

Yes it is, Robin. The automatic 7mm ring (which I take it you are
referring to, rather than the manual one) has no springs inside. I
think that there was simply no room for those.
This means only that you have to be a bit careful about the position
of those levers before starting to mount lens and camera.

When you always start mounting the ring on the camera, and after that
attach the lens on the mounted ring, nothing can go wrong at all (this
is also how Olympus describes the procedure in the instructions).

If you start combining the ring and lens it _could_ go wrong,
depending on the position of the levers (but you will feel that it
isn't going as it should immediately and automatically correct it, so
is my experience)

Everything else works the same as with the longer rings.

>The same shop also has a used OM 8mm by Sigma for about US$260.  Is this a
>reasonable price?  I've never seen one for sale before.

I hope some else can help you with this question.
And I didn't see any silly questions, Robin...

>Regards from Robin M. Allen.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.