Re: [OM] Re: language

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: language
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:19:39 -0600
>I think there must be a genetic component involved.  There is variation
>in the ability to roll the tongue, capability of making back of the
>tongue vs. front of the tongue "r" sounds, and differences on the sound
>that is heard.
>
>An interesting story might help to clarify what I mean.  Years ago I
>worked in the area of Rehabilitation.  We had a client (in Michigan)
>that we sent to speech therapy for over a year to correct his speech,
>which, at least for that part of the world was lacking in correct speech
>patterns and difficult to understand.   It cost the Department of
>Rehabilitation over $30,000.  Later while traveling, I stopped in a
>restaurant where a local mine owner, complete with diamond ring studded
>fingers, and a Mercedes in the parking lot spoke just like him.

Being from Meechigan, I do know what you ewe ahr talking about.  Failuerrr
to say the letter R coorectly is a cerse.

Seriously, though, the upper-midwest provides the most "standardized"
American language possible.  Iowa, Minnisota and Illinois probably have the
most non-accent accents there are.  Unfortunately my Swedish influenced
west Michigan accent has stood in the way of my being a terrific voice
talent for radio commercials or playing a lead role in Baywatch.

You wanna talk about accents, I'd say that the south-eastern part of the
USA is a gold mine of linguistic twists and turns.  Where else is the word
"dog" a three syllable word?

Ken Noitin