Re: [OM] Lens Element Wear

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Element Wear
From: Bernie & Diana Bennett <bennetts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:57:59 -0600

Ken Norton wrote:

> Questions come up periodically regarding why pros still use Lieca
> rangefinder cameras.  The origional reason has almost been forgotten--Lens
> Element Wear.
>
> Years ago when SLR cameras started to make a major headway into usage with
> the Nikon F bearing down on the photojournalism world it was quite apparant
> that the Lieca lenses remained sharper than the Nikon's.  Opinions were
> formed by wannabe technoids, but conclusive research was done at the
> Fareway Lie Archival Research Enterprise (FLARE) and Golf Course.......

Stuff deleted....

> Newer lens designs contain elements labeled ED, Rare-Earth, ELD,
> etc. which do not store photons. These elements are also less suseptable to
> formulation alteration from usage too, but can suffer from
> DeUglyFaceCrackDeLens Syndrome.  It is important not to use these modern
> lenses around truely scary looking people.
>
> The rate of wear is expressed with the following formula:  YA=R(i)/GH-t
> The photon buildup is expressed as:  Ge=Tr-E/a+L
>
> To discharge the excessive photons from your older lenses the repair
> procedure requires you to place the lenses on their sides with the lens
> caps off.  A blacklight is placed in front of the lenses and an infrared
> lamp placed behind.  This must be done in total darkness, so it is best to
> use your darkroom for this procedure.
>
> Returning your lenses to multicoat status is not possible, but the effects
> of coat reduction can be helped by this procedure.  As always YMMV.
>
> Ken Norton

Not to diminish the effect of photons <G>; but check those older lenses for
sagging glass elements.  I would hazard a guess that the sags would get both
SLR and reflex lenses before the photons do. I've got 75 year old dining room
windows that are quite wavy.  Not the same quality of glass and not the same
mass; but surely a factor non-the-less. Possibly a system of reorienting lenses
in their cases or storing bodies with lenses at different angles would minimize
"the sag effect".
--
Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett