Re: [OM] OM1 body - advice requested

Subject: Re: [OM] OM1 body - advice requested
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:25:58 -0500

To:       olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
From:     Steven Read/CAM/Lotus @ NOTES@ALPHABETA
Date:     01/30/2000 11:25:58 AM

I can't quite get over the feeling that this was flame bait... but that aside,
yes if it's priced reasonably and in reasonable shape, you want this.  It's as a
good a mechanical camera you're ever likely to need, though I guess if you
didn't already know that, there are some other things you should know, like that
the OM-1 has flavors, the obvious chrome versus black, 1 vs 1n, Motordrive ready
and not ready.  The OM-1/1n has a great reputation for reliable service and when
that fails, you can find people to service it, more easily than for most older
cameras - though the list will (both strongly and rightly) recommend John
Hermanson to you.  My preference being for the black body OM-1n which has all of
the above - but I have examples of most of the variants.  A great mechanical SLR
compatible with the lenses you've got for your 4t.

* * * Previous Memo History * * *

From:  John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx> @ ALPHABETA

I came across a used OM1 body today in one of our many new and used photo
outlets. The body looked to be in good shape with no obvious outward signs
of damage or misuse. The shutter [at all speeds] sounded just as sweet as
that of my OM4T and I could not see any signs of interior damage.

Are there any list members who might be able to provide an opinion on the
OM1 body, whether it has a good reputation for reliability and mechanical
soundness, and whether  spare parts and pieces are still available should
it require servicing and repair work?

John Hudson
Vancouver, BC