RE: [OM] flare

Subject: RE: [OM] flare
From: TRUCCO Martin TENCO <TENMAT@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:35:32 +0300
> I'll give you an example.  I used to own the 35-70/3.6 Zuiko.  i once took
a shot of a glass-sided building at sunset with a golden gloaing cityscape
at sunset reflecting on the side of the building. the glass mirror building
was actually a grid of rectangles of the mirror/glass siding, with some sort
of metal beams forming frames around the rectangles throughout.  I didn't
notice the sun reflecting off of a tiny corner of one of these beams, and it
was enough to flare the image with a ghost image of the diapragm, ruining
what otherwise would have been a superlative shot.  I don't think this would
have happened with a prime lens.  Point a zoom at the sun and it will flare.

        The primes also suffer from flare effect, specially wide angles. Of
course, as the flare is due to internal reflections, the more elements a
lens have (and this happens with zooms and wide angles) the more prone to
flare the lens is. Of course this is only a general rule and two lens with
the same quantity of elements than other can perform worse (regarding flare)
than other because of worse quality coating, less effective design, etc.

        HTH

                             Martin Trucco
         Proud Member of the Foto Club Argentino
                     www.martintrucco.com.ar

When the vessel was arriving to the port
Mastropiero commented to the Captain:
"I would have never imagined New York like this!"
"You are right, Sir" answered the Captain,
"We are arriving to the Canarias"

                                       Les Luthiers