[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1378

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1378
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:29:32 -0500 (EST)
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My choice today is Olympus OM4t with 24f2.8 and 90f2.5
> Tamron Macro. This combination handles over 900f what I shoot these
> days. The third lens I would add if needed is the Zuiko 300f4.5.

Lovely.  This is my kit, with the exception of the 300:  my third lens is
the 50/3.5 Macro.  I recently picked up the Tamron SP 2X teleconverter,
which gives me my 1:1 for flowers etc, and a decent length for fashion.

(I also carry one of two Rollei TLRs:  a 3.5E Planar or a 2.8E
Xenotar.  The OM4t makes a nice spot meter for these; I use a Sekonic L508
for incident readings.)

I took this kit to Sonoma last week for my first fashion shoot.  Stellar
results.  This was an important shoot for me, as I've been typecast as a
travel photographer, and it's important that I begin to publish fashion
work if I ever hope to break out of that (admittedly
pleasant) genre.  Presented the results yesterday to my editor at Nylon,
and the reaction was great:  they'll be publishing at least a couple of
full-page shots, probably more.

The Tamron in particular yielded beautiful images.  I also did an
architecture shoot for Interiors while I was there, and relied almost
entirely on the 24/2.8.  That lens is considerably better than I imagined.

Seems time to invest in a 21mm for architectural work.  Any suggestions,
regarding the three flavors of Zuiko?  (I'm not going to bother with a
shift.  Too expensive, and I find I can get the parallel verticals
straight with a decent tripod, and some fiddling.  If I'm going to shift,
I also want to tilt, and that will be the day I invest in large format.)

Douglas Cooper