[OM] Sighted: Olympus camera at wedding of soon-to-be-famous couple!

Subject: [OM] Sighted: Olympus camera at wedding of soon-to-be-famous couple!
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:00:37 -0600
Well, OK, so I exaggerated a bit in the title, but the story is sorta
interesting.

My girlfriend and I went to a wedding in Nashville a couple of weekends ago, and
in preparation for the event I put a few Olympus odds 'n' ends in a bag to take
along for snapshots, etc.  So, on arriving at the rehearsal dinner the night
before, I was pressed into service as an usher  (must have something to do with
my rakish good looks, I suppose).    OK, no biggie.  This I can do.

On The Fateful Day, I was at the church doing my usherly duty when, at 1/2 hr.
before H-hour, I noticed that there was no one going around with 6 x 6 cm.
equipment in Halliburton cases, large tripods, umbrella stands, etc.  in short,
no pro photographer.  "Why is this?"  I ask.  "Well," says the bride's son,
"they just didn't want one, I guess."

"WHAT?!?!?!  Don't you think that the bride and groom might want some pictures
of the ceremony and reception?"  "Well, maybe, I guess.  Go ahead."

So, figuring that I could do  no wrong, I go into emergency mode.  Reaching into
my previously-carelessly-packed bag from the other night, I rummage around a bit
and find, much to my delight, that I had the foresight (well, dumb luck,
actually) to bring an OM-4T, the 100mm f2 Zuiko, the motor drive, and a couple
of rolls of NHG II.  All RIIIGHTTT!  I am ready.

Shot  a bunch of pics of the wedding party in the back of the church before the
ceremony (we're talking about some SERIOUSLY CUTE kids for ring bearer and
flower girl here), some of the party coming up the aisle (including the flower
girl slamming, yes, slamming the flower petals onto the runner... what a hoot!),
some more of the party (and new couple) coming down the aisle after the
ceremony, plus the usuals of the reception, cake cutting/face stuffing, car
decorating, etc.   After the film was developed/printed, there was about a 70%
keeper rate, which I thought was surprising considering the lighting (or lack
thereof).  Couldn't have done it without the Oly gear, nope, no way.

Now, the interesting bit about the couple:  I have two friends of about my age
(Henry and Anne) who met a few years ago and decided to live together.  Now,
Henry's dad is long since passed away, and his mom lives in Nashville.  Anne's
father was living near Seattle until a year ago, when he decided that there
wasn't much of a reason to remain in Seattle, so he moved to Niceville, FL to be
near Anne.  And so, it was inevitable that Anne's father (who is 77) and Henry's
mother (who is 70) should eventually meet, and of course biology takes its
inevitable course (at one time, Anne's father and Henry's mother left Henry and
Anne's house to go feed the dogs at his place; by all reports this took a couple
of hours!!!!) and Anne's father proposes to Henry's mother, who accepts.  Their
wedding is the affair chronicled above.

Now that the dust has settled on the whole affair, we observe that Henry and
Anne, who are living together, are now stepbrother and stepsister!!!!!

The mind boggles.  Anne has said that she is NEVER getting married to Henry
because there is NO WAY that she is going to publicly explain all of this to the
county clerk!

And everybody lived happily ever after.

regards,

Mahlon