Re: [OM] ot: squeaky camera bag strapes

Subject: Re: [OM] ot: squeaky camera bag strapes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:33:41 +0000
At 22:27 1/21/00 , Wayne wrote:
>I'm wondering if anybody has figured out a solution to the problem of
>camera bag straps squeaking caused by plastic henges, buckles, etc
>interfacing with itself or the nylon straps. Is there anyway lubricate
>this? I have tried butchers wax, my old staple for making dresser
>drawers glide smoothly. Does anyone have any ideas?

Wayne,
Been watching this thread.  You hit on one of the challenges we've had
where I work . . . plastic rubbing against plastic, including stuff with
nylon content.  It is inherently "squeaky" if two bare plastic surfaces
rub.  Now for the bad news.  It defies solution with tweaking just the
plastics formulations.

We did make headway with special plastics paints on the rub points.  Custom
industrial stuff used to paint molded plastic pushbuttons and the like for
consumer products; refuses to wear off and our rub points don't have a lot
of pressure on them.  Unfortunately it's not something you can buy a small
can of at the local hardware store.  Since I don't work directly with the
plastics end of things I don't have a brand name either.  You could try a
hobby store, but it would have to be something that will *not* wear off;
not your typical modeling paint.

If you can find some Teflon fortified grease, the Teflon will tend to
remain behind on the surface even after you've wiped the grease off.  I
would try application of that on the rub points first before painting
anything.  Don't eat the stuff or bathe your hands in it.  Same precautions
as with any other petroleum based grease or oil.  The Teflon stuff doesn't
wash off your hands very easily.

-- John