Re: [OM] Oly at the photo lectures

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly at the photo lectures
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:18:45 EST
In a message dated 1/20/00 6:00:11 AM Central Standard Time, denton@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> Given the
>  lighting levels he works at I almost bet he uses the 21/2 and that the
>  existence of this lens helped him choose Oly, but no one specifically
asked
>  him that.

Denton and everybody who's interested,

Popular Photography ran an article on Eugene Richards several years back
about his book,"Cocaine Blue, Cocaine True." The article itself did not
specifically indicate what brand of equipment Richards used except to say
some of the shots were taken with a 21 and some with a 35.  A more complete
interview was available by sending a SASE to Pop. Photo. In that version of
the interview Richards said the Oly 21 F2.0 " is the greatest I've used." He
also said  he thought Olympus camera's are wonderful, but delicate. He said
his wish was for a "small, no nonsense, strong body." Sounds like the
opinions of this list and more specifically an OM 3Ti, which was not
available when Richards shot the photos for the book. He also said most of
the photos in the book were shot using available light nearly wide open at
1/15 or 1/30 sec on TRI-X. Flash work was with Vivitar 283's. I've got
Richard's books Americans We and The Knife and Gun Club and can recommend
both of them. Incidentally, for Dallas, TX, area residents, both books can be
found at Half Price book stores. Gary Faulkenberry