[OM] RE: editing ethics & ADITL information

Subject: [OM] RE: editing ethics & ADITL information
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:44:43 +0000
Olaf Greve wrote:

>In my own picture gallery I had to use the "sharpen" effect on virtually all
>scans I made, just to make the pictures look more or less like the original.

I suspect that all scanners (or is it the software?) have this effect. I
haven't seen a scanned image - from flatbed or film scanner - that didn't
require sharpening. And if you resize in PSP it will need sharpening again.
Best to do the following (for 'net use):

Scan image
Save as a TIFF
Make corrections (translation: manipulations) to colour, contrast,
saturation etc.
Save again
Resize
Sharpen
Save as JPEG

I think the subject of "what is manipulation in photography?" is a
minefield. Opinions are going to differ, examples are going to be thrown
into the mix that contradict each other. While open, healthy discussion is
valuable (no-one is able to revise or confirm their position without hearing
alternative views), I guess we shouldn't get too hung up on it. Thanks Glen
Lowry and others for interesting and *informative* posts on this subject.

Simon E.