[OM] V-J day

Subject: [OM] V-J day
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:41:10 -0800 (PST)
====================
The famous kiss between an unknown nurse and a sailor was just a random
event that took place in a crowded and jubilant Times Square. It was
only in
1980 that the nurse was identified and in 1995 the sailor was
identified.

She interviewed Carl Muscarello of Florida and Edith Shain of Santa
Monica on the 50th anniversary of V-J Day, the day that marked victory
over Japan
during World War II. Muscarello, a retired police officer, recalled the
kiss: "I just walked over and grabbed her and very gently planted a
long, luscious kiss
on her beautiful lips...and when I was out of breath I just stepped back
and ... drifted off into the crowd, ran off and kissed a few more ladies
and got on the
subway and went back to my home in Brooklyn." <<<

this is interesting as this interview was when Eisenstadt was still alive.
Two years later, right after he died, someone claiming to be the sailor
came forward and said it was all posed.  You can find the article
reporting this in the archives of the NY Times or Oregonian newspapers.

Joseph